Welcome to the new GAC website! Effective 5 September 2017, new content will be published to this site. If you have difficulty finding information, please email: gac-staff@icann.org. The former GAC site remains available during this transition.

Meetings & Records

GAC meetings are usually conducted in conjunction with an ICANN meeting. They may also be conducted inter-sessionally. GAC meetings are usually open. This part of the website provides both GAC Members and others members of the community with access to past, present and future GAC meeting material including agendas, transcripts, location details, recordings and minutes. For GAC Members there is also access to preparatory material ahead of forthcoming meetings such as the draft agenda, briefings and presentations, remote participation details and travel assistance.


ICANN60 GAC Meeting Minutes

Abu Dhabi, UAE   28-03 November 2017

Introduction

Eighty-five GAC Members and twelve Observers attended the meeting.

GAC membership currently stands at 173 Members and 36 Observers.

Presentations used by speakers during the meeting and supporting briefing prepared for the GAC can be accessed, where available, from the GAC website under Meetings and Records/ICANN Meeting Agendas. Full transcripts for each session are available at the ICANN 60 Website.

List of attendees

GAC Members

African Union Commission

Haiti

Romania

Argentina

Hungary

Russian Federation

Australia

 

Rwanda

Austria

India

 

Azerbaijan

Indonesia

St Kitts and Nevis

 

Iran

Sao Tome and Principe

Bahrain

Italy

Senegal

Belgium

 

Singapore

Brazil

Jamaica

South Africa

Burundi

Japan

Spain

 

 

Swaziland

Cambodia

Kenya

Switzerland

Canada

Kiribati

Sweden

Central African Republic

Korea

 

China

Kuwait

Chinese Taipei

Colombia

 

Thailand

Comoros

Luxemburg

Tokelau

Congo, Democratic Republic of

 

Trinidad and Tobago

Congo, Republic of

Macedonia

Tunisia

Cook Islands

Madagascar

Tuvalu

Cote d’Ivoire

Malaysia

 

Czech Republic

Mali

Uganda

 

Mexico

Ukraine

Denmark

Morocco

United Kingdom

Dominican Republic

 

United States

 

Nauru

 

Egypt

Nepal

Vatican City State

European Commission

Netherlands

Vietnam

 

New Zealand

 

Fiji

Nigeria

Zimbabwe

Finland

Niue

 

France

Norway

 

 

 

 

Germany

Pakistan

 

Guinea, Republic of

Palestine

 

Guyana

Peru

 

 

Portugal

 

GAC Observers

Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU)

International Telecommunications Union (ITU)

Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF)

Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO)

International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL)

West Africa Telecommunications Regulators Assembly (WATRA)

Council of Europe

 

International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement

World Intellectual Property Association (WIPO)

Economic Community of Central African States (CEEAC)

Organisation for Islamic Cooperation (OIC)

Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)

Saturday, 28 October 2017

08:30 - 13:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - GAC Underserved Regions Capacity Building Workshop for Middle East GAC Members and Newcomers

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Pua Hunter, GAC USR WG Chair
ICANN's Government Engagement Team

Objective

Agenda

Time Session Moderator(s)
08:30-09:00

Welcome and introductions

ICANN's Senior Advisor to the President of ICANN for Government Engagement 

ICANN President and CEO

GAC Chair

United Arab Emirates representative

Pua Hunter (GAC USRWG chair and
ICANN GE)

Objectives of the meeting Pua Hunter and Alice Munyua
09:00-09:30 Introduction to ICANN and its role and work in the region (GSE) Baher Esmat (ICANN GSE)
09:30-10:30

Role of ICANN in the global Internet Governance Ecosystem

Panel and plenary discussion (William Drake/Wolfgang Kleinwaechter/Chengetai Masongo/Khaled Koubaa)
Alice Munyua and Baher Esmat
10:30-10:45 Coffee/Tea break
10:45-12:45

Update on ICANN Constituencies and cross-community work at ICANN60

(GAC topic leads/liaisons/GE/GSE/MSSI)
Baher Esmat and Alice Munyua
12:45-13:00 Closing remarks GAC Chair and/or Vice-chair and ICANN board

Expected Outcome

Documents used for the Workshop session, please see https://icann60abudhabi2017.sched.com/event/CbHu.

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

08:30 - 13:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - GAC USR Capacity Building Workshop

13:30 - 14:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 1 - GAC Opening Plenary

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Tom Dale, ACIG GAC Secretariat

Objective

The GAC will be welcoming new GAC Members and discuss the overall GAC schedule for the week of the ICANN60 Meeting.

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

14:00 - 14:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 2 - 2-Character Country/Territory Codes at Second Level

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will discuss the two-character second level domains (SLDs) matter, since their last face to face meeting.

Session Minutes

This remains an issue of concern to some, but not all, GAC members. Several members expressed concern that matters raised in Section 5 of the Johannesburg Communique, including creation of a task force, had not happened; and that ICANN engagement should be with the whole GAC rather than bilaterally.

At the face-to-face meeting with the Board, the ICANN CEO said that there had been discussions with some governments since Johannesburg, and ICANN Org was not closing these off. However, his main focus will continue to be on improved information flows between ICANN Org and GAC members as a matter of process rather than this specific issue.

Action Items

  • Communique wording to reflect these discussions and to include a request for a written response from the Board. (Completed)

14:30 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 3 - Country and Territory Names as SLDs

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will discuss the matter of Country and Territory Names as SDLs.

Session Minutes

GAC members noted the current situation with this issue, including the need for governments to regularly update the GAC list of countries requiring notification of proposals to use their country/territory name at the second level. It was not clear whether names at the second level would be within the terms of reference of the new Work Track 5 (geographic names) of the PDP on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures.

Action Items

  • GAC members to review the relevant list on the GAC website (all interested GAC members).

15:15 - 16:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 4 - GAC Independent Secretariat

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Jorge Cancio, Switzerland
Tom Dale, ACIG Secretariat

Objective

The GAC will be discussing its independent secretariat contract situation.

Session Minutes

The GAC was informed that a new contract had been finalised between ICANN and ACIG extending independent secretariat services to the GAC to the end of 2018. However, a shortfall in funding meant that ACIG was preparing to conclude its services on 30 November 2017.

New funding commitments were made by GAC members by the end of the meeting as follows (See attachment for funding requirements)

Financing of 2017:

2017 à financing gap of 18‘550; confirmed pledge of 10‘000€ from Lux to be paid in quarter 4. 2017 + 10K€ NO and 5K€ DK (excess of 6’450€ will go to reserves)

Financing of 2018: overview of confirmed transfer pledges

  • Transfers in quarter 4. 2017 (to pay quarter 1. 2018): 10K€ Austria + 25K€ Brazil (CGI.br) + 50K€ NL (to be paid in January 2018 / 25K€ in excess go to quarter 1.)
  • Transfers in quarter 1. 2018 (to pay quarter 2. 2018): 9K€ Czech Rep + 10K€ Lux + 150K SEK[1] SWE + 25K€ NL (from excess in quarter 4.)
  • Transfers in quarter 2. 2018 (to pay quarter 3. 2018): 50K€ EU + 25KCHF Switzerland (21’580€) (11’580 in excess of 60K€ go to quarter 3)
  • Transfers in quarter 3. 2018 (to pay quarter 4. 2018): 11’580€ Switzerland (from excess in quarter 2.) + 20K€ Australia (AuDA)

GAC members agreed to continue efforts to widen the number of countries making contributions for 2018 and into 2019. Continuation of ACIG services beyond 30 November 2017 will be further discussed with the GAC Chair.

[1] SWE commits to contribute 150‘000 SEK. The resulting amount in Euro will depend on the applicable exchange rate. As of 27 October 2017 150K SEK would be around 15’420€

Action Items

  • GAC members to again review the requests from the Chair for possible contributions to enable continuation of the independent secretariat through 2018 and beyond on a sustainable basis (GAC Chair + Switzerland).

Brief & Presentation Materials

16:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 5a - GAC's Participation in the Empowered Community

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Ghislain de Salins, GAC Vice-Chair, France

Objective

The GAC will discuss its role in the Empowered Community.

Session Minutes

The GAC agreed to adopt guidelines for its participation in the Empowered Community. These guidelines will be made available on the GAC website and reviewed periodically in the light of practical experience.

Action Items

  • Post guidelines on GAC website (Completed).

Brief & Presentation Materials

17:00 - 17:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 5b - GAC's Participation in the Empowered Community

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Ghislain de Salins, France

Objective

The GAC will continue its discussion about its role in the Empowered Community

Session Minutes

See Agenda Item 5 a.

Brief & Presentation Materials

17:45 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda 6 - GAC's Participation in PDP's and CCWG

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will be discussing its participation in Policy Development Processes and Cross-Community Working Groups in ICANN.

Session Minutes

GAC members again discussed possible ways to enable the most efficient and effective GAC participation in CCWGs and PDPs, including:

  • Mentoring of newer participants by more experienced members.
  • Coordination among GAC members of the same group to rotate attendance and flag upcoming issues of relevance.
  • Extending the current GAC guidelines on participation in CCWGs to PDPs.
  • Making better use of cross-community sessions at ICANN meetings.
  • Avoiding “over-engineering” of the issue and acknowledging that it fundamentally requires some time commitment by members.

Action Items

  • Develop a paper with revised options for GAC consideration (GAC leadership + ACIG Secretariat + ICANN staff).

Sunday, 29 October 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 7 - Human Rights and International Law Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Working Group Co-Chairs:
Jorge Cancio, Switzerland
Mark Carvell, UK
Milagros Castañon, Peru

Objective

Agenda:

  1. Consider the progress of the HR sub-group (report from Niels ten Oever);
  2. ICANN Organization activities directed to implementing the HR Core Value (speaker, Theresa Swinehart).
  3. Discuss the GAC providing potential advice to the Board on its use of Ruggie Principles as a tool.
  4. Consider the situation on the GAC as regards implementation of the core value - a first discussion

Session Minutes

The GAC Working Group on Human Rights and International Law received an update from the Human Rights Sub-Group of the Cross Community Working Group on Accountability on progress in developing the Framework of Interpretation (FoI) and Considerations relating to the Human Rights Core Value in the ICANN Bylaws, including reference to the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. An information exchange on implementation efforts of the FoI was held with the Cross Community Working Party on ICANN's Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights (CCWP-HR). Information was also provided by ICANN's Senior Vice-President for strategy concerning actions being undertaken by ICANN Org to implement the framework in its operations and activities

Brief & Presentation Materials

09:30 - 10:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 8 - Geographic Names Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objective

Draft agenda for the meeting:
Role of the WG - GAC alternatives for participation in the Work Track 5
  • Which could be the role of the WG in this new stage?
  • Could we review main issues of the WT 5 process and highlight some issues which are important for the GAC?
  • Could we Help co-chair or GAC members participating in analyzing the information during PDP process?
  • Other ideas?

A summary of main issues and comments expressed during the two open
sessions about Geographic Names in new gTLDs are being shared with the WG members.

Session Minutes

The GAC Working Group to Examine the Protection of Geographic Names in any Future Expansion of gTLDs met and analysed the ways for it and the GAC to participate in the new “Work Track 5” on geographic names of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group.

The Working Group decided to ask the GAC leadership to identify a small group of GAC colleagues to join Work Track 5 and organize the work of this group; and to continue its work as currently established and to act as a space for analysing the development of the activities of Work Track 5.

A summary of the two open sessions on geographic names as TLDs organized by the GNSO during the ICANN 59 meeting in Johannesburg was distributed.

Brief & Presentation Materials

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 9 - Meeting with the GNSO Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs (CBAs and Applicant Support Discussion)

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Jeff Neuman and Avri Doria, GNSO New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs

Objective

The GAC will be meeting with the GNSO Subsequent Procedures PDP Members and co-chairs to discuss Community-Based Applications.

Session Minutes

The GAC met with the PDP on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures and had a productive discussion on applicant support and community based applications.

With regard to applicant support, GAC members considered that the issues go beyond ICANN’s Applicant Support Program. The low number of new gTLD applications from some regions may reflect commercial realities and a lack of an obvious value proposition, although general awareness seems to have been low. The PDP would welcome feedback on application fee levels.

With regard to community based applications, GAC members noted that these often represented the lowest entry point for new gTLDs and were often not-for-profit based. The GAC agreed that there would be value in engaging with the PDP on possible application and review frameworks for community applications in future rounds.

Action Items

  • GAC to provide continuing input to the PDP on these issues (UK, Underserved Regions Working Group).

Brief & Presentation Materials

11:00 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 10 - Community-Based Applications and Applicant Support Discussions

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Mark Carvell, United Kingdom

Objective

The GAC will be discussing CBAs and Applicant Support following the meeting with the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

Brief & Presentation Materials

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 11 - ICANN Jurisdiction

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Benedicto Fonseca Filho, Brazil

Objective

The GAC will be preparing for its Cross-Community session on Jurisdiction scheduled on Thursday 2 November.

Session Minutes

The GAC discussed the recommendations of the CCWG-Accountability WS2 Sub-Group on Jurisdiction with regard to OFAC[1] sanctions and choice of law in contracts. There was a range of views. Some members had concerns that the recommendations do not go far enough in addressing current and potential problems with US jurisdiction and ICANN. Other members supported both the recommendations and the process followed by the Sub-Group.

It was agreed that GAC members, and where appropriate the GAC as a whole, will continue to engage with development of recommendations on jurisdiction by the CCWG, both through the Working Group and through the public comment process in 2017-2018.

[1] [United States] Office of Foreign Assets Control

Action Items

  • Alert GAC to public comment period for Sub-Group recommendations (Completed).

13:30 - 14:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 12 - Meeting with Amazon.com

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Scott Hayden, Amazon.com

Objective

The GAC will receive a presentation from the Amazon Company, followed by questions and answers.

Session Minutes

The GAC met with representatives of Amazon.com, at their request, to discuss their applications for dot Amazon and related strings. Several GAC members expressed strong concerns about the process followed by the company, the importance of the Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization (ACTO) as a legitimate political forum for this issue and the possibility of wider impact should Amazon’s applications succeed. A statement circulated prior to the meeting by Brazil and Peru is at Attachment 3.

A compromise proposal from the company[1], using a public interest commitment framework, was noted as a matter for further discussion between the company and ACTO members with the ICANN Board in a facilitating role.

The GAC also discussed the request from the Board[2] for any additional information on the GAC’s current advice on this matter by the end of ICANN 61. The Board indicated at the face-to-face meeting with the GAC that it is not taking any action pending the GAC’s response, and that the request does not suggest any predisposition to a particular course of action. The GAC agreed to consider the Board’s request in a way that will avoid any damaging precedents being set.

[1] The Amazon.com presentation is on the GAC website at Agendas/ICANN60 GACX Agenda/Agenda Item 12.

[2] Board Resolutions 2017.10.29.02 and 2017.10.29.03 and letter of 29 October 2017 from Board Chair to GAC Chair.

Action Items

  • Monitor community developments and report to the GAC (ACIG Secretariat).
  • Relevant GAC members to inform GAC of ongoing discussions with Amazon.com (GAC ACTO members).
  • GAC to consider its position on if and how to respond to the Board resolution and letter of 29 October 2017 (all GAC members).

Brief & Presentation Materials

14:00 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 13 - Amazon IRP Discussion 1

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will have an internal discussion following its meeting with the Amazon Company.

Brief & Presentation Materials

15:15 - 16:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 14 - Meeting with the GNSO

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
James Bladel, GNSO Council Chair

Objective

Agenda for meeting:

  1. Welcome
  2. Developments regarding Red Cross/Red Crescent and IGOs
  3. Update on current PDPs and on GAC engagement in these
  4. Implementation of GAC-GNSO CG recommendations – remaining issues?
  5. Lowering Barriers to Participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community)
  6. GNSO/GAC Liaison
  7. AOB

Session Minutes

The GAC met with the Chair and members of the GNSO Council. The key issues raised were:

  • The reconvened PDP to consider protections for certain Red Cross Red Crescent Names. It was noted that, while acronyms are outside the scope of the Board’s request. The issue could be considered after the current process is finalised.
  • PDP on IGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms. GAC members noted previously agreed views on the special role of IGOs.
  • Update on PDPs. The need for continued GAC participation was noted. This does not necessarily mean attending every call, but rather being prepared if notified in advance. The information session from Registrars was agreed to be useful and worth expanding with others.
  • GAC-GNSO Consultation Group Implementation Plan. The GAC noted that a new draft had been circulated, and will work on a response.
  • GNO Liaison to the GAC. The GAC welcomed the new Liaison, Julf Helsingius. GAC members asked that he have a clear profile through attending at least some GAC sessions, briefing the GAC and being a point of contact.
  • GNSO Chair elections. The GAC welcomed the election of Dr Heather Forrest as Chair of the GNSO Council.
  • Work by GAC and ALAC on Enabling Inclusive, Informed and Meaningful Participation in ICANN. See Agenda Item 26

Action Items

  • Meet with new GNSO Liaison to discuss how to maximise benefits from the role (GAC leadership +ACIG Secretariat).
  • Review GAC-GNSO Consultation Group Implementation Plan and develop agreed GAC response (GAC leadership +ACIG Secretariat).

16:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | CCT RT Update to GAC

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Jonathon Zuck,  CCT Chair

Session Minutes

The Chair of the CCT Review Team and team members briefed the GAC on the Team’s work and progress towards finalising its work.

CCT Review Team work is available at www.cct.wiki.

Action Items

  • GAC members to continue to monitor developments in the work of the review. (All GAC Members + ACIG GAC Secretariat).

Brief & Presentation Materials

17:00 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 13 - Amazon IRP Discussion 2

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will continue its discussion following its first session on the Amazon IRP.

Brief & Presentation Materials

18:30 - 20:00 UTC+04:00 | PSWG Newcomers Social

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

Monday, 30 October 2017

08:30 - 09:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 15 - ICANN MSSI Team Reviews

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
ICANN MSSI Review Team

Objective

ICANN MSSI Review Team will update the GAC about the current and future work on the organizational and specific reviews: https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews

Session Minutes

The GAC was briefed by MSSI staff on the current and projected situation with regard to the specific and organisational reviews required by the ICANN Bylaws. Issues requiring further attention were noted, including selection of review team members, scope of work, simultaneous reviews and the need for expectations to be understood by all parties.

Action Items

  • Continue to monitor developments with all reviews and ensure GAC participates in accordance with the Bylaws and to further its own objectives (ACIG Secretariat + staff + GAC leadership).

Brief & Presentation Materials

10:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Community Input and Feedback on Progress and Approach for Concluding the Work of CCWG-Accountability-WS2

Room: Hall 4

Leads

https://schedule.icann.org/event/CbHY/cross-community-session-community-feedback-on-concluding-ccwg-accountability-ws2 

Session Minutes

GAC members attended the cross-community session Community Feedback on Concluding CCWG-Accountability WS2 and noted progress and the timeline for completion of this work.

Action Items

  • Monitor relevant public comment opportunities for draft recommendations and ensure GAC individual member/coordinated input as appropriate (ACIG Secretariat + GAC leadership).

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 16 - Meeting with NCUC

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Farzaneh Badii, NCUC Chair

Objective

Agenda:

  1. Introduction to the NCUC and its work
  2. Geographic Names
  3. 2-Character domain names at the Second Level that correspond with Country Codes
  4. Jurisdiction at ICANN
  5. Lowering Barriers to Participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community)

Session Minutes

The GAC met with the NCUC for the first time, at their request, and had an exchange of views on:

  • The work and general policy approach of the NCUC.
  • ICANN jurisdiction, including the recommendations of the CCWG-Accountability Sub-Group on Jurisdiction.
  • Geographic names as TLDs.
  • Balancing law enforcement and privacy interests in relevant ICANN and GAC work.

Action Items

  • Continue to monitor NCUC community inputs relevant to public policy and facilitate interaction with GAC where appropriate (ACIG GAC Secretariat).

12:30 - 13:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 17 - BGRI Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Manal Ismail, Egypt 

Markus Kummer, ICANN Board

Objective

The Board-GAC Recommendations Implementation Working Group (BGRI-WG)[icann.org] was created to implement GAC-related recommendations of the first ICANN Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT1)[icann.org].  Its term was then extended to implement GAC-related recommendations of the second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)[icann.org]. 

Most recently, the BGRI-WG was re-convened with the mandate of looking into and reviewing “Effectiveness of GAC Advice”, where in some cases, it is difficult to determine whether (or not) ICANN Board has accepted GAC Advice, where there is clear evidence that advice has been accepted, to what degree it has been implemented, and whether or not the GAC feels the implementation adequately meets GAC’s original intent. 

The session will adopt the reviewed description of what constitutes GAC Advice:

  • GAC Advice is advice on the activities of ICANN as they relate to concerns of governments, particularly matters where there may be an interaction between ICANN’s policies and various laws and international agreements or where they may affect public policy issues.
  • GAC Advice is embodied in a written communication where the specific advice is clearly marked as such, has a clearly stated proposal for action(s) by the Board, and explains the underlying rationale for its Advice.
  • GAC Advice is provided in accordance with the GAC Operating Principles[gacweb.icann.org], and is duly considered, accepted, or rejected by the Board in accordance with Section 12.2 (a)(x-xi) of the ICANN Bylaws.  

as well as agree on the following set of activities related to having a single, transparent, easy to access, and easy to manage portal for logging, tracking, and retrieving GAC Advice to the Board.

 

 

Session Minutes

The BGRI-WG and the GAC met. A definition was adopted of what constitutes GAC advice and this will be made available on the GAC website. The Group agreed on a continuing program of work focused on how ICANN Org supports the Board in tracking and implementing GAC advice, and timelines for considering GAC advice.

Action Items

  • The BGRI will continue its work inter-sessionally, and requests feedback from GAC members on issues raised in the session (BGRI, GAC Members).

Brief & Presentation Materials

13:30 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Reporting of DNS Abuse for Fact-Based Policy Making & Effective Mitigation

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Operating Standards for Specific Reviews

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Review of All RPMs PDP WG

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

17:00 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Public Forum 1

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

Tuesday, 31 October 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 18 - Public Safety Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, PSWG Co-Chair

Session Minutes

The GAC Public Safety Working Group (PSWG) thanked Alice Munyua, who has stepped down from her role as co-chair of the PSWG, for her valuable contribution in the creation and development of the PSWG.

 In relation to WHOIS/RDS, the PSWG highlighted the critical importance of maintaining access for public safety agencies and other users with legitimate purposes, including the general public. The PSWG will contribute to the development of practical solutions that are compliant with applicable laws, for consideration by the GAC.

The PSWG will assess and improve the effectiveness of safeguards against DNS Abuse, including through possible GAC comments on the new sections of the Competition, Consumer Choice and Consumer Trust Review Team draft report, and contributions to the development of the Consumer Safeguards Director role at ICANN.

 The PSWG will continue the development of its future strategy and work plan, as well as general criteria for leadership selection, for possible endorsement by the GAC at ICANN61.

Brief & Presentation Materials

09:30 - 09:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 19 - GAC Chair Election Results

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will welcome its in-coming new Chair who will be assuming the role currently held by Thomas Schneider.

Session Minutes

Elections for the position of GAC Chair were held using an online process for the first time.

The result was: Manal Ismail (Egypt) 59 votes. Olga Cavalli (Argentina) 50 votes.

The new Chair assumed full responsibilities from the end of this meeting.

The GAC elected as Vice Chairs, by acclamation:

Guo Feng (China)

Ghislain de Salins (France)

Milagros Castañon (Peru)

Chérif Diallo (Senegal)

Pär Brumark (Niue)

The GAC expressed its sincere appreciation to Thomas Schneider for his valuable service as GAC Chair since 2014. It also expressed thanks to outgoing Vice Chair Mark Carvell (United Kingdom) who is leaving the GAC.

Brief & Presentation Materials

09:45 - 10:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 20 - ICANN / GAC Operational Processes

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Robert Hoggarth, VP, Policy Development and GAC Relations

Objective

The GAC will be following up on the discussions held a previous ICANN Meetings such as ICANN's document handling and work prioritization.

Session Minutes

The GAC was briefed by ICANN staff on current and potential future services provided to the GAC by ICANN Org and feedback was invited for ongoing work on this inter-sessionally. This includes general support for members and the leadership group, record-keeping, the ICANN budget and meeting planning.

Action Items

  • Staff to continue engagement with the GAC on proposals for updating and improving support arrangements. (ICANN GAC support staff)

Brief & Presentation Materials

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 21 - IGOs / Red Cross Protections

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective

The GAC will discuss the situation of IGOs and Red Cross Protections.

Session Minutes

2e: Protection of IGO Names and Acronyms

GAC members reviewed progress by the PDP on IGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms and again expressed concern that the views of IGOs were not properly being taken into account, contrary to established GNSO procedures and ICANN Bylaws. It was agreed that the Board should be advised to consider these procedural concerns. On other IGO protections, which have been the subject of previous GAC interest and advice, it was noted that there do not appear to have been any major developments since the facilitated discussion in Copenhagen.

At the face-to-face meeting with the Board, the Board reiterated its response to the Johannesburg Communique on the Curative Rights PDP, noting that there are still opportunities for the GAC and IGOs to contribute to the final report, and that there are Bylaw-mandated procedures for dealing with any rejection by the Board of either GAC advice or PDP recommendations.

2f: Red Cross / Red Crescent / Red Crystal

The GAC welcomed important progress made by the re-convened PDP Working Group on Protection of IGO-INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs with regard to protections for Red Cross and Red Crescent identifiers following the GAC advice in its Copenhagen Communiqué. However, the GAC noted that protections for acronyms of the International Committee of the Red Cross fall outside the remit of the re-convened PDP and that there do not appear to be immediate opportunities for addressing this in accordance with the GAC’s advice in the Durban Communique (July 2013).

Action Items

  • The above discussions to be reflected in the GAC Communiqué (Completed).

11:00 - 11:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 22 - Whois / RDS and GDPR

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Session Minutes

The GAC discussed the public policy implications for ICANN of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including their broader global impact on WHOIS services and how compliance should be implemented so that the intent of the 2007 GAC Principles Regarding gTLD WHOIS Services can be maintained.

Members supported the importance of timely access to accurate WHOIS data for investigations by public safety agencies, noting that the 2007 Principles seek to balance law enforcement and privacy interests and that mechanisms to ensure such a balance are available within the GDPR framework. It was noted that a coordinated process for access within the ICANN framework should be seen as being in the interests of all stakeholders, including ICANN, contracted parties, public safety agencies and data protection authorities.

These issues were raised at the GAC’s face to face meeting with the ICANN Board, which did not respond to the specific public policy concerns raised.

ICANN compliance with GDPR was also the subject of a cross-community session at ICANN 60.

Action Items

  • Review next steps following scheduled Board-GAC call approximately 4 weeks after the Communique (GAC leadership group).
  • Monitor community developments and inform GAC (ACIG Secretariat + ICANN support staff).

Brief & Presentation Materials

11:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 23 - Preparation for Meeting with ICANN Board

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 24 - Review Point for GAC Communique

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

13:30 - 14:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 25 - Meeting with ccNSO

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Katrina Sataki, ccNSO Chair

Objective

Agenda:

  1. ISO 3166 three-letter codes as TLDs
  2. next steps: policy development on country & territory names, geo names as TLDs
  3. PDP retirement update
  4. ccNSO meeting strategy review
  5. Lowering barriers to participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community)

Session Minutes

The GAC met with the Chair and other members of the ccNSO Council.  The main issues raised were:

  • The use of geographic names as TLDs and the way forward, including conditions for GAC and ccNSO participation in the proposed Work Track 5 of the PDP on new gTLD Subsequent Procedures.
  • An update on the ccNSO PDP on a retirement mechanism for ccTLDs.
  • Work by GAC and ALAC on Enabling Inclusive, Informed and Meaningful Participation in ICANN: See Agenda Item 26.

Action Items

  • GAC members to engage with the PDP on retirement (all GAC members).

14:15 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 26 - Meeting with the ALAC

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Alan Greenberg, ALAC Chair

Objective

Agenda:

  1. New gTLD Subsequent Procedures
    1. Country and Territory Names
    2. Community-Based Applications 
  2. Lowering Barriers to Participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community) and plans for joint GAC-ALAC demarche 
  3. GDPR
  4. Cooperation in Capacity Building in Underserved Regions
  5. AOB

Session Minutes

The GAC met with ALAC leadership and members and agreed to prepare a joint statement on Enabling Inclusive, Informed and Meaningful Participation in ICANN. This builds on previous work by the GAC and other community members at and since the Helsinki meeting. The joint statement was signed by the GAC and ALAC Chairs, and the GAC agreed to advise the ICANN Board to instruct ICANN Org with regard to its implementation. At the face to face meeting with the Board, the Board noted that it had provided a written statement on these issues earlier in the meeting.

There was also an exchange of views on:

  • The use of geographic names as TLDs.
  • Review of policy on community based applications.

Action Items

  • The GAC and ALAC will monitor the Board’s response to the joint statement and GAC advice (GAC and ALAC leadership + staff).

Brief & Presentation Materials

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 27 - Meeting with ICANN Board

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Steve Crocker, ICANN Board

Objective

Agenda for the meeting:

  1. GAC Responses to Questions From the Board
    1. Current GAC Topic Priorities;
      1. Further action on the dot Amazon issue following the final declaration of the IRP;
      2. Access to curative rights protection mechanisms by IGOs/INGOs;
      3. Policies for geographic names at the top level;
      4. Engagement with relevant PDPs and CCWGs; and
      5. Procedures for GAC participation in the Empowered Community.
    2. GDPR and WHOIS Views -- Range of views from GAC members on this matter. 
  1. Issues GAC wishes to put to the Board
  1. Dot Amazon -- What are the next steps from the ICANN side with regard to the IRP final declaration on the dot Amazon application? 
  2. IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms -- Can the Board inform the GAC on what measures it considers appropriate and necessary to avoid an apparent conflict between GAC advice and the likely recommendations of the PDP? 
  3. WHOIS policy -- How and on the basis of which interpretation does ICANN intend to enforce WHOIS policy come May 2018? 
  4. 2-character country/territory codes at the second level -- What are the next steps with regard to the actions noted by the ICANN CEO at the Board-GAC call of 14 August 2017 (in response to the Johannesburg Communique)? 
  5. Lowering Barriers to Participation -- GAC plans to continue to raise the matter of reducing barriers to participation in ICANN activities with other SOs/ACs. Can the Board indicate whether it supports further work in this area and, if so, how the Board and ICANN Org might support such work? 
  6. Timing and Process for Release of Further new gTLDs -- In responding to the GAC Hyderabad Communique, the Board stated that it accepted the GAC’s advice and will continue to monitor the work of the community regarding reviews of the current round of the New gTLD Program and the policy development work for subsequent rounds of the New gTLD Program. Can the Board provide an update on this monitoring?

Session Minutes

The GAC met with the ICANN Board and discussed the following issues:

  • Next steps with the applications for dot Amazon and related strings: See 2.a above.
  • Access to WHOIS data in the public interest and in the context of the GDPR: See 2.b above.
  • 2-character country and territory codes at the second level: See 2.c above.
  • The PDP on IGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms: See 2.e above.
  • The Board’s decision to seek a “temporary pause” for the Security, Stability and Resiliency Review. Several GAC members expressed concern at this unilateral action in what should be a community process. The Board noted that it was responding to community concerns and has fiduciary and oversight responsibilities to consider.[1]
  • The joint statement by GAC and ALAC on Enabling Inclusive, Informed and Meaningful Participation in ICANN: See 3.d below.

[1] The GAC Chair later joined a joint statement by SO/AC leaders on this matter.

Brief & Presentation Materials

17:00 - 17:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 28 - Rights Protection Mechanisms

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Mark Carvell, United Kindgom
Brian Beckham, WIPO

Objective

Agenda:

  1. Factual summary of RPMs-- Brian Winterfeldt (10-15 mins)
  2. Presentation on INTA RPM survey -- John McElwaine (or possibly Lori by phone) (10 mins)
  3. Status report of RPMsPDP WG -- Susan Payne (10-15 mins)
  4. Identifying specific public policy issues on which GACreps in coordination with national intellectual property policy leads and/or agencies would potentially advise ICANN -- Mark Carvell, Brian Beckham

Session Minutes

The GAC was briefed on issues relevant to the current PDP to Review All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs, including the Trademark Clearing House, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy and Uniform Rapid Suspension Service.

It was noted that GAC members will generally benefit from engaging with their national intellectual property authorities on these matters, including facilitating their participation in the current PDP.

Action Items

  • GAC members to consider more active participation in the current PDP on RPMs, including through specialised national agencies where appropriate. (All GAC members)

Brief & Presentation Materials

17:45 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 29 - GAC Operating Principles

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Robert Hoggarth, ICANN GAC Support 

Session Minutes

The GAC discussed options for reviewing its framework of Operating Principles, including their overall structure and specific areas not currently addressed, including outreach, confidentiality and guidance for Working Group Chairs.

Action Items

  • Options for a holistic review of the Operating Principles to be identified for GAC consideration (GAC leadership group + ICANN Staff).

Brief & Presentation Materials

Wednesday, 01 November 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 30 - NomCom Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objective

Draft agenda for the meeting:

  • Revision of the draft document "GAC Criteria to submit to NOMCOM"

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

09:30 - 10:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 31 - Underserved Regions Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Pua Hunter, Cook Islands

Shelley-Ann Clarke Hinds, Trinidad and Tobago

Objective

Draft agenda for the meeting:

  • Discuss the evaluation framework for GAC endorsement
  • Discuss the FAQ for GAC endorsement
  • Capacity development workshop updates and timeline for future sessions – APRICOT in Nepal, Pakistan
  • Discuss the workplan and call for active engagement of the working group members
  • Public Comment on recommendations for diversity
  • ICANN Community Travel Support Guidelines (for noting) 

Session Minutes

The GAC Working Group on Under-Served Regions undertook its 4th regional capacity development workshop for the year during ICANN60.

The WG presented a schedule of its upcoming capacity development workshops as follows:

  1. Nepal, February 2018
  2. Puerto Rico, March 2018
  3. Senegal, April 2018
  4. Panama, June 2018

 The USR WG continues to use a pre-workshop survey to determine the needs of participants and develop a demand driven agenda and approach.  Additionally, a post-survey workshop is administered to evaluate the workshops in order to inform and improve future approaches.

 As part of the capacity development and outreach work with the ICANN Government Engagement (GE) and the Global Stakeholder Engagement (GSE) teams, the USR WG will provide support in the form of summary documents containing details of the various work streams, Policy Development Processes (PDPs), Cross Community Working Groups (CCWGs) and activities taking place in ICANN to assist GAC members from under-served regions with effective participation and engagement.

Additionally, the USR WG discussed the following documents for endorsement by the GAC:

  1. Capacity Development Evaluation Framework;
  2. Templates for Planning and Reporting on the Capacity Development workshops;
  3. The FAQ for delegation and re-delegation of ccTLDs

The USR WG appointed a new Co-Chair, Ms. Shelley-Ann Clarke Hinds, from Trinidad and Tobago.

 The USR WG called for volunteers to actively participate in the Policy Development Processes (PDPs) and Cross-Community Working Group (CCWG) work streams currently in progress; that is:

  • The new gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP, specifically Work Track 1 which is dealing with "Support for Applicants from Developing Countries".
  • Work by the Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review on developing country issues.
  • CCWG on New gTLD Auction Proceeds.
  • CCWG Accountability WS2 subgroup on Diversity.

The USR WG provided the GAC with an update on the Onboarding program. This is designed to facilitate orientation for newcomers as part of an overall effort to reduce barriers to participation."

The USR WG will start working with GAC Support Staff to prepare GAC responses to a questionnaire provided by ICANN Org to help inform an upcoming community consultation regarding ICANN Community travel support guidelines.

Brief & Presentation Materials

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 32 - DNS Abuse Mitigation

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

GAC PSWG Co-Chair, Cathrin Bauer-Bulst

Session Minutes

The GAC was briefed by its Public Safety Working Group (PSWG) on continuing review of the effectiveness of new gTLD safeguards against DNS abuse, and continuing dialogue with ICANN Org on abuse reporting and mitigation measures. The upcoming public comment process for the CCT Review Draft Report is an opportunity for GAC members to highlight the need for further work on assessing safeguards effectiveness.

It was agreed that the PSWG would update and circulate to the GAC for feedback draft high-level principles for dealing with DNS abuse.

Action Items

  • GAC to consider an appropriate response on DNS abuse issues when the next version of the CCT Review draft report is issued for public comment (All GAC members).
  • PSWG to circulate an update version of proposed high-level principles on DNS abuse to the GAC (PSWG).

Brief & Presentation Materials

11:00 - 11:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 33 - GAC Website

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Fabien Betremieux, ICANN Support staff

Session Minutes

The GAC was briefed by ICANN GAC support and technical staff on the transition to the new GAC website which should be completed by ICANN 61. Several suggestions for improvement in access, layout and content were taken on board.

Action Items

  • Continued development of the website (ICANN support and technical staff).
  • Continued feedback from users (all GAC members).

Brief & Presentation Materials

11:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 34 - Preparation for HLGM ICANN63

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

The GAC was briefed by the Spanish Government on arrangements for the next High Level Governmental Meeting to take place in Barcelona during ICANN63 in October 2018. Arrangements for invitations to Ministers and senior officials and possible agenda topics were discussed.

Action Items

  • GAC to liaise with ICANN Org and Spain to develop arrangements for the HLGM (GAC leadership + Spain + ICANN staff).

Brief & Presentation Materials

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 35 - Preparation for ICANN61

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

Brief & Presentation Materials

12:30 - 13:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Commonwealth Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Objective

Draft Agenda

  1. Introductions
  2. Welcome remarks
    • Nigel Hickson, VP, IGO Engagement, ICANN (TBC)
  3. Lowering Barriers to ICANN Participation
    • Mark Carvell, GAC Vice Chair and UK GAC Representative.
  4. Introduction to Internet and Jurisdiction
    • Bertrand De La Chapelle and Paul Fehlinger, Internet & Jurisdiction.
  5. Commonwealth updates (Chair
    • CTO’s work on Cyberspace
    • IGF 2017
    • CHOGM 2018
  6. AOB

 

Brief & Presentation Materials

13:30 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 36a - ICANN60 Communique Drafting

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 36b - ICANN60 Communique Drafting

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

17:00 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 36c - ICANN60 Communique Drafting

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

Thursday, 02 November 2017

10:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Implications for ICANN

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 37 - Whois/RDS and GDPR

Room: Hall 3

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

13:30 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Talking About Jurisdiction: Challenges Associated with ICANN’s Activities Being Subject to the Laws and Tribunals of the Country of Incorporation

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

15:15 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Public Forum 2

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.

18:30 - 20:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Annual General Meeting

Room: Hall 4

Session Minutes

Minutes forthcoming.