Welcome to the new GAC website! Effective 5 September 2017, new content will be published to this site. If you have difficulty finding information, please email: gac-staff@icann.org. The former GAC site remains available during this transition.

Meetings & Records

GAC meetings are usually conducted in conjunction with an ICANN meeting. They may also be conducted inter-sessionally. GAC meetings are usually open. This part of the website provides both GAC Members and others members of the community with access to past, present and future GAC meeting material including agendas, transcripts, location details, recordings and minutes. For GAC Members there is also access to preparatory material ahead of forthcoming meetings such as the draft agenda, briefings and presentations, remote participation details and travel assistance.

EDITION:

ICANN59 GAC Meeting Minutes

Johannesburg, South Africa   26-29 June 2017

Introduction

Sixty-eight GAC Members and seven Observers attended the meeting.

The GAC welcomed St Kitts and Nevis as a new Member; and the Regional Technical Commission of Telecommunications (COMTELCA) as a new Observer. This brings GAC membership to 173 Members, and 36 Observers.

Presentations used by speakers during the meeting and supporting briefing prepared for the GAC can be accessed, where available, from the GAC website (as slides or word/PDF documents). Full transcripts for each session are available at the Johannesburg Schedule website.

List of attendees:

GAC Members

African Union Commission

India

Spain

Argentina

Indonesia

St Kitts and Nevis

Australia

Iran

Sudan

Austria

Italy

Sweden

Belgium

Jamaica

Switzerland

Brazil

Japan

Chinese Taipei

Burundi

Kenya

Thailand

Cambodia

Korea

Timor Leste

Canada

Malaysia

Turkey

Chad

Madagascar

Uganda

Chile

Mexico

Ukraine

China

Morocco

United Kingdom

Colombia

Nepal

United States

Cook Islands

Netherlands

Uruguay

Cote d’Ivoire

New Zealand

Vietnam

Democratic Republic of Congo

Nigeria

Zimbabwe

Denmark

Niue

Dominican Republic

Norway

Egypt

Peru

European Commission

Portugal

France

Republic of Congo

Ganbia

Russian Federation

Germany

Rwanda

Guyana

Samoa

Haiti

Singapore

Hungary

South Africa

GAC Observers

Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU)

International Telecommunications Union (ITU)

World Intellectual Property Association (WIPO)

Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO)

European Broadcasting Union (EBU)

West Africa Telecommunications Regulators Assembly (WATRA)

Council of Europe

 

 

Monday, 26 June 2017

Welcome and Multi-Stakeholder Ethos Award Presentation 08:30 - 09:00 UTC+02:00 Level 4 Foyer

Leads:

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 1a - Opening Plenary 09:00 - 09:45 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Tom Dale, ACIG GAC Secretariat

Objective:

The GAC will be welcoming new GAC Members, go over the GAC schedule for the week of the ICANN59 Meeting and open for
nominations to the upcoming GAC Leadership elections.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Spain declared its willingness to host the next High Level Governmental Meeting (HLGM) to take place in Barcelona during ICANN63 in October 2018. The GAC expressed its sincere gratitude to Spain for this welcome declaration.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 1b - Election Tool Presentation to GAC 09:45 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

A call for nominations was made for the positions of GAC Chair (the current Chair having given notice of his intention to step down after the ICANN 60 meeting) and up to five Vice Chairs (in accordance with the annual elections provided for in the GAC Operating Principles). Nominations must be made by 13 September 2017.
ICANN GAC support staff would conduct the election process, which would be overseen by the outgoing GAC Chair. It was agreed to trial an online voting system for these elections.

Action Items:

  1. ICANN GAC support staff to conduct relevant election procedures and answer queries accordingly.

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 2 - Implementation of New Bylaws (Session I) 10:30 - 11:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective:

The GAC will be discussing the role of the GAC in the Empowered Community

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

(includes Agenda Item 22.)

The GAC agreed to adopt on an interim basis the principles and procedures for participation in the Empowered Community, and to use these as a guide until the ICANN 60 meeting. A small steering group would be formed to develop longer-term arrangements for consideration and agreement at the ICANN 60 meeting.

With regard to proposed amendments to the Fundamental Bylaw on Reconsideration Requests, the GAC participated in the Community Forum through the GAC Chair (as the GAC representative in the Empowered Community Administration) and through individual members who sought clarification of several points.

The GAC agreed that it would consider the proposed amendment and attempt to reach a consensus position as a Decisional Participant within the timeframe specified in the Bylaws (that is, by 21 July 2017); and that the draft principles and procedures proposed in the briefing document prepared by the ACIG GAC Secretariat would be used as interim principles for this instance only, pending further consideration at the next GAC face to face meeting.

The GAC was briefed by one of the Co-Chairs of the CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 2 (Thomas Rickert) on the current work of the CCWG and its sub-groups and the relevant timelines. GAC members expressed a range of views on the scope of work of the sub- group on jurisdiction and how this has been addressed at the sub-group and plenary levels.

Action Items:

  1. GAC leadership group to prepare a proposal on the proposed Bylaw amendment and submit this to the GAC for consideration (Leadership Group + ACIG GAC Secretariat).

  2. GAC to be kept informed of all relevant CCWG-Accountability developments and consider responses to WS2 draft proposals and requests for information on their merits (GAC Members of CCWG-WS2 + ACIG GAC Secretariat).

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 3 - 2-Character Country Codes as Second Level Domains 11:30 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Objective:

The GAC will be discussing the status and the next steps for exchanges with ICANN Org regarding the topic of
2-Character Codes as Second Level Domains

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

This remains an issue of concern to some, but not all, GAC members.

The GAC was briefed by ICANN staff on the current situation. The Board’s response to the GAC’s Copenhagen Communiqué, including that it “has directed the CEO to engage with concerned governments to listen to their views and concerns and further explain the Board’s decision-making process,was noted. At the face-to-face meeting with the Board, the ICANN CEO said that he was happy to help facilitate a “task force” (however titled), to include interested GAC members and the GAC Chair, to develop better communications with governments on this issue.

Action Items:

  1. GAC leadership group, ICANN CEO and interested GAC members to consult on creation of a “task force”.

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 4 - Public Safety Working Group (PSWG) Update to GAC Plenary 13:30 - 14:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, PSWG Co-Chair

Objective:

The GAC Public Safety Working Group will provide an update on Abuse Mitigation discussions with ICANN, including answers provided
to the follow-up scorecard to Annex 1 of the Hyderabad Communiqué, as well as the outcome of the Dialogue with the ICANN CEO
that was proposed by the ICANN Board in response the Copenhagen Communiqué.                                                             

 

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

(includes Agenda Item 15.)

The GAC was briefed by its Public Safety Working Group on current work. Key issues raised with regard to the DNS abuse were: Dialogue with ICANN CEO on DNS abuse mitigation; and ICANN initiatives including: Ad Hoc Community Group on Compliance and Safeguards; Domain Abuse Activity Reporting Project; Identifier Technology Health Index; and DNS Marketplace Health Index.

Other issues briefed on by the PSWG included: Privacy and Proxy Services Implementation Review Team; and impact of the GDPR and RDS issues (see 2.d above). It was agreed that consolidated experts input to the public comment process on WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law would be agreed by GAC by e-mail procedure by 7 July 2017.

The new ICANN Consumer Safeguards Director, Bryan Schilling, met briefly with the GAC and outlined his role.

Action Items:

  1. Expert input on WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law to be agreed by GAC by 7 July 2017 (Completed).
  2. PSWG to keep GAC informed on all major activities (PSWG Co-Chair + Staff).

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 5 - CCT Review Update 14:00 - 14:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective:

The GAC will discuss the CCT Review Report based on a briefing by the Chair of the Review Team.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The Chair of the CCT Review Team and team members briefed the GAC on Team's work since its published Draft Report (noting GAC input to the public comment process) and progress towards finalising its work.

CCT Review Team work is available at: www.cct.wiki

Action Items:

GAC Members to continue to monitor developments in the work of the review. (All GAC Members + ACIG Secretariat).

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 6 - IGO/Red Cross Protections Update 14:30 - 15:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Bruce Tonkin, ICANN Board

Objective:

The GAC will be discussing the developments and status of the facilitated dialogue regarding protections of IGOs acronyms and Red Cross-Red Crescent national names since ICANN58.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Protection of IGO Names and Acronyms

The GAC informed the Board at their face-to-face meeting that the Board’s response to the GAC’s Copenhagen Communiqué with regard to GAC comments to the PDP Working Group on IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms fell short of what GAC was seeking. The Board responded that its role is to facilitate rather than intervene.

Red Cross / Red Crescent / Red Crystal

The GAC noted that the GNSO has re-convened the PDP Working Group on Protection of IGO-INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs in order to re-examine the recommendations on protections for Red Cross and Red Crescent identifiers following the GAC advice in its Copenhagen Communiqué. GAC members were interested to identify opportunities to contribute to the work.gTLDs in order to re-examine the recommendations on protections for Red Cross and Red Crescent identifiers following the GAC advice in its Copenhagen Communiqué. GAC members were interested to identify opportunities to contribute to the work.

Action Items:

Protection of IGO Names and Acronyms

  1. The above discussions to be reflected in the GAC Communiqué (Completed).

Red Cross / Red Crescent / Red Crystal

  1. The above discussions to be reflected in the GAC Communiqué (Completed).
  2. GAC Members and Observers, supported by the ACIG GAC Secretariat, to monitor the re-convened working Group and ensure appropriate GAC inputs.

Brief & Presentation Materials:


Cross-Community Discussion on Next Generation gTLDs RDS Policy Requirements 15:15 - 18:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:

Tuesday, 27 June 2017

Community Forum on Proposed Fundamental Bylaws Amendments 08:00 - 09:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 7 - Underserved Regions Working Group 09:00 - 09:45 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Alice Munyua, AUC. 

Pua Hunter, Cook Islands

Objective:

The GAC Underserved Region Working Group will discuss the work progress
made since ICANN 58.

Agenda:

  • Capacity Development Workshops updates and timeline for future sessions

* 23 – 24 June 2017: Pre ICANN 59 Capacity Development Workshop (agenda: https://gacweb.icann.org/x/w4FhAg)

  • Review of the FAQ document on delegation and redelegation of ccTLDs
  • Update on the CCT Review, New gTLD Subsequent Procedures,
    CCWG Acct WS2 Diversity Sub-Group
  • Call for volunteers in Cross-Community Working Groups, GNSO PDPs,
    and Underserved Regions Working Group’s work 

Expected Outcome:

Recordings and Transcripts of the session can be found here: https://schedule.icann.org/event/B49D/gac-underserved-regions-working-group-session 

Session Minutes:

The GAC Working Group on Under-Served Regions: The Working Group continues to collaborate with ICANN’s Government Engagement (GE) and other departments to organise capacity development sessions. The most recent events include:

  • The second regional workshop in Fiji on 28 and 29 April 2017, targeting Pacific island countries.
  • The USRWG and PSWG Capacity Development Workshop for African GAC Members, Law Enforcement and Consumer Protection Agencies on 23 and 24 June 2017 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
  • A round table dialogue on ICANN’s GAC capacity development initiatives during the WSIS forum in June 2017, in Geneva.

The Working Group is working with the GE and Development and Public Responsibility (DPRD) Teams to establish an evaluation framework to continuously evaluate GAC capacity development activities.

The GAC is looking forward to continued support from the ICANN org for the activities of the working group to support participation from underserved regions in GAC and ICANN policy processes. The working group has developed a tentative calendar of future capacity development initiatives for the next 2 years.

The working group will continue to collaborate with the ccNSO and Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) to complete the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document on delegation and redelegation of ccTLDs.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


8.Preparation for Meeting with ICANN Board 09:45 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

The GAC will discuss topics to bring up with the ICANN Board in preparation for its session with the Board on Wednesday 28 June.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 9 - Meeting with ALAC 10:30 - 11:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Alan Greenberg, ALAC Chair

Objective:

Agenda:

  • Ways to make GAC/ALAC cooperation more concrete
    (eg., small groups following up the discussion at joint meetings)
  • New approaches to the subsequent new gTLD procedures
    (incl. CBA's, possible for profit/not for profit categories, geo names, etc)
  • Possible cooperation in underserved regions
  • AOB                                                                                                            

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC met with ALAC leadership and members. It was agreed to explore possible cooperation on issues of common interest, including exchanging information between relevant working groups and continued discussions between GAC and ALAC leads on specific issues at ICANN meetings. There was also discussion on underserved regions, community workload challenges and the cross-community sessions on geographic names scheduled as part of ICANN 59.

Action Items:

  1. The GAC and ALAC will continue to engage in dialogue on the issues noted above. (GAC Leadership Group + ICANN staff + ACIG GAC Secretariat).

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 10 - Human Rights and International Law Working Group 11:15 - 12:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Jorge Cancio, Switzerland;

Mark Carvell, UK;

Milagros Castañon, Peru

Objective:

The GAC HRIL WG will be meeting to follow up on its work since ICANN 58.

Agenda:

  • CCWG HR sub-group consultation on FoI: outcome and next steps.
    Speaker: Niels ten Oever  (10 + 15 mins Q&A) - Co-Chair lead: Jorge Cancio
  • Report on teleconference with UN WG on Guiding Principles (10 mins)
    Co-Chair lead: Mark Carvell
  • Next phase of HRIL WG work (5 mins) Co-Chair lead: Milagros Castańon
  • AOB (5mins)                                                                                            

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC Human Rights and International Law Working Group received an update from the rapporteur of the Cross-Community Working Group - Accountability Workstream 2 sub-group on Human Rights regarding the current status and next steps for finalizing the Framework of Interpretation for ICANN's Bylaw core value to respect internationally recognized human rights as required by applicable law. The Co-Chairs of the HRILWG reported on their contact with the UN Working Group on Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights with regard to their potential applicability to ICANN.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


11.Review Point for GAC Communiqué 12:00 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

The GAC will be reviewing and listing topics proposed for by GAC Members for discussion in the ICANN 59 Communique.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 12 - Meeting with ccNSO 13:30 - 14:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Katrina Sataki, ccNSO Chair

Objective:

Agenda:

  • Revision of different perspectives presented during the Webinar
    organized by the GNSO
  • Preparation for the cross-community webinar and a cross-community
    dialogue session during ICANN 59
  • AOB            

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC met with the Chair and other members of the ccNSO Council. An update was provided on the ccNSO PDP on a retirement and review mechanism for ccTLDs. A Working Group on the retirement issue has been established and GAC members were most welcome.

An update was also provided on the now-concluded Cross Community Working Group on Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains. It was noted that both GAC and ccNSO have an interest in ongoing involvement with further work on geographic names; and in support for the GAC Working Group on Underserved Regions with regard to ccTLD issues.

Action Items:

none.

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 13 - Protection of Geo Names Working Group 14:15 - 15:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objective:

Agenda:

  • Revision of different perspectives presented during the Webinar
    organized by the GNSO
  • Preparation for the cross-community webinar and a cross-community
    dialogue session during ICANN 59
  • AOB                

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC Working Group to Examine the Protection of Geographic Names in any Future Expansion of gTLDs participated in the webinars organised by the GNSO on 25 April 2017 in relation to the use of geographic names at the top level. The Working Group met during ICANN 59 and considered the “strawperson” document prepared by the Co-Chairs of the Working Group on Subsequent Procedures for New gTLDs based on input received during the webinars. This document was used as the basis for interactions in the Cross-Community Discussion on Geographic Names at the Top- Level organized during ICANN59.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 14 - Public Safety Working Group 17:00 - 18:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Alice Munyua, AUC  

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, European Commission

Objective:

This work session of the PSWG will review progress on ongoing work topics
including the Security Framework for Registries to Respond to Security Threats,
Privacy Proxy Implementation and Registration Directory Services related initiatives
(Next Generation RDS PDP WG, RDS Review Team, GDPR Impact Assessment).
The work session will also focus on internal matters such as defining the PSWG’s
strategy and working methods.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC Public Safety Working Group (PSWG) briefed the GAC on recent progress on the Domain Name System (DNS) abuse mitigation and Registration Directory Service (RDS) work streams.

Regarding DNS abuse mitigation, the GAC met the new ICANN Consumer Safeguards Director and offered its support for his role and work, including the envisioned Ad Hoc Community Group on Consumer Safeguards. Presentations on the Domain Abuse Activity Reporting Project (DAAR) and the intermediate report on abuse of the DNS prepared for the CCT Review Team provided useful data to assess measures to prevent abuse. Building on intersessional exchanges with the ICANN Board and ICANN CEO, the PSWG will participate in initiatives including the DAAR Project, the Identifier Technology Health Index and the DNS Marketplace Health Index, with the aim to define systematic public reporting by ICANN on DNS abuse and related mitigation efforts.

Regarding Registration Directory Service (RDS), the GAC was briefed on progress of the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation IRT and the RDS Review Team.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:

Wednesday, 28 June 2017

15.PSWG Update to GAC Plenary 08:00 - 08:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Alice Munyua, AUC  

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, European Commission

Objective:

The GAC PSWG will update the GAC in plenary on developments prior to
and during ICANN 59 in relation to Registration Directory Services (RDS),
as well as the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Implementation.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 16 - New gTLD Policies 08:30 - 09:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective:

The GAC will discuss issues related to the GNSO PDP on Subsequent Procedures and participation in the related Working Group.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

With regard to substantive issues, the GAC discussed geographic names (see above) and community-based applications.  GAC agreed to a request from one of the Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs to provide information on arguments in support of promoting community-based applications (Lead: United Kingdom).

With regard to process, the GAC agreed to work in the Subsequent Procedures PDP WG on better mapping of public policy issues, work tracks and call times; and on possible feedback on GAC inputs to ensure a continuing dialogue. The GAC will also review and confirm GAC leads on specific issues and clarify their roles and responsibilities. 

Action Items:

  1. Summary of arguments in favour of community-based applications to be prepared for Subsequent Procedures PDP WG (United Kingdom).
  2. Work with PDP on better mapping and feedback to GAC (Leadership Group + ACIG + WG Co-Chairs).
  3. Review GAC Leads on specific issues (Leadership Group + ACIG). 

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 Agenda Item 17 - Meeting with ICANN Board 09:30 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

ICANN Board 

Objective:

The GAC will be meeting with the ICANN Board to discuss  a range of issues.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC met with the ICANN Board and discussed the following issues:

  • 2-character country and territory codes at the second level: See Agenda Item 3.
  • The Board’s response to GAC advice on IGO protections: See Agenda Item 6
  • Recent dialogue between the GAC, the GAC Public Safety Working Group and the ICANN CEO on mitigating domain name abuse: GAC and PSWG members thanked the CEO for the dialogue and looked forward to further regular exchanges if possible.
  • Improvements to ICANN document handling: The CEO acknowledged that there were problems with lack of consistent document labelling/tracking including in the ICANN website. ICANN was working on a new document management system as part of a major project.
  • Receiving Board responses to GAC advice earlier: The Board would try to avoid conveying their responses just before an ICANN meeting.
  • Changes in Board and ICANN Organisation procedures for processing GAC advice: This is in place at the Board level. The CEO said that ICANN organisation was looking at ways to support fact-based discussions in the GAC, including addressing concerns of individual countries.
  • Options for GAC adding value to the annual GDD Summit: The CEO said that ICANN organisation facilitates the summits but does not set the agenda, and that some cross-community dialogue, or at least exchange of information, should be possible.
  • Opportunities for the GAC to contribute to ICANN work on the interaction between the European Union General Data Protection Regulation and Registration Directory Services

Action Items:

none.

Brief & Presentation Materials:


18.CCWG Accountability WS2 10:30 - 11:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

The GAC will be discussing the different topics in relation to the CCWG Accountability Work Stream 2.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 Agenda Item 19 - Meeting with GNSO 11:30 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

James Bladel, GNSO Council Chair

Objective:

Agenda:

  • Developments regarding Red Cross/Red Crescent and IGOs
  • Update on current PDPs and on GAC engagement in these
  • Implementation of GAC-GNSO CG recommendations
  • GNSO Review of GAC Copenhagen Communiqué
  • AOB                             

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC met with the Chair and members of the GNSO Council. The key issues raised were:

  • The reconvened PDP Working Group which was considering the recommendations on Red Cross Red Crescent protections. GAC members conveyed their interest in participating when further details are available.

  • Protection of IGO identifiers: No immediate next steps were shared, other than the near-finalisation of the PDP on IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms.

  • GAC involvement in PDPs: The key points from new gTLD Policies (see Agenda Item 16) were discussed with regard to the Subsequent Procedures PDP. GAC members noted a suggestion to alert agencies dealing with intellectual property issues to the work of the PDP on Rights Protection Mechanisms.

  • Quick Look Mechanism (QLM): There was discussion on whether the QLM is “necessary but not sufficient” for identification of public policy issues and facilitation of GNSO-GAC dialogue.

Action Items:

See Agenda Item 16 - New gTLD Policies

Brief & Presentation Materials:


20.GAC Communique Drafting 13:30 - 15:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


GAC Communique Drafting Session (2) 15:15 - 16:45 UTC+02:00 Ballroom 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


Cross-Community Discussion: Who Sets ICANN's Priorities? 17:00 - 18:30 UTC Ballroom 1

Leads:

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Who Sets ICANN’s Priorities?
ACIG Notes from Cross Community Session
ICANN 59 Johannesburg
28 June 2017

Background

This was a cross community session proposed by the ccNSO. The Adobe Connect recording of the session (and, in due course, transcript) can be found here. The session was chaired by Thomas Schneider (GAC). Moderators were Jordan Carter (ccNSO) and Chuck Gomes (GNSO). There were two panels: one dealing with who sets ICANN priorities (Alan Greenberg ALAC; Katrina Sataki ccNSO; Xavier Calvez ICANN Chief Finance Officer) and dealing with possible improvements (Patrik Falstrom SSAC; Cherine Chalaby ICANN Board; James Bladel GNSO). A summary of the cross-community session at ICANN 56 (Helsinki) on ICANN workload scheduling and management (published on the GAC website at the time) is attached.

Who sets ICANN’s priorities?

Formal processes for setting ICANN priorities are the Five-Year Strategic Plan and Five-Year Operating Plan, supported by the Annual Operating Plan and Budget. These do have some transparency and accountability through the public comment process and the Empowered Community structure. However, the 5-year plans are set at a very high level and do not seem to influence (or be influenced by) workload realities at the SO/AC and individual volunteer levels.

The published list of ICANN Projects was noted (as it was at relevant sessions at ICANN 56) but this does not seem to have any priority-setting role.1

SOs and ACs currently set their own priorities in a variety of ways. Several noted that the crosscommunity nature of nearly all ICANN work means that their workload is affected by initiatives from elsewhere in the community (including ICANN Org) over which they may have little control. There is no coordination mechanism for priority-setting or workload adjustment across different parts of the community. It was noted that a semi-formal consultation among heads of SOs/ACs immediately before ICANN meetings had been done previously but not recently.

Several participants noted that “not all stakeholders are equal” and the work of ACs tends to be driven by SOs. For example, the decision of the GNSO to pursue a PDP on new gTLD policies and procedures (with a view to further release of TLDs as soon as possible) impacts workloads and priorities for nearly all other parts of the community. A related point is that the interests of the GAC and ALAC tend to be community-wide.

There was agreement that genuinely urgent matters do get dealt with (for example, the IANA transition) but this has not helped individual groups set their own priorities.

It was noted that the problems are multiplied for participants from developing countries with limited resources and capacity.

******
1 The projects listed here are under the Strategic Plan reflect the work of ICANN Org, not that of SOs and ACs.

The net result has been multiple parallel processes, work overload, a volunteer base that is not renewing, barriers to participation in ICANN processes and a feeling in many parts of the community that they have no means of prioritising work to address these problems.

How can priority-setting be improved?

The following suggestions were raised in discussion:

  • The ICANN CEO will look at options for some form of SO/AC coordination group and will report back to SO/AC leaders. He also noted that work has started on a new long-term financial planning process that may well affect priorities.
  • There was a range of views on a possible role for the ICANN Board. Some felt it was the Board’s responsibility to address a common problem across the community. Others argued that an active role for the Board in setting community priorities would be inconsistent with the Board’s responsibilities as custodian of broader community interests.
  • PDPs could seek input from the rest of the community on a more targeted basis rather than put a wide range of questions out for comment as a single process.
  • Longer deadlines for comment on issues would help.
  • The GNSO will be considering its first strategic plan in early 2018 and there may be opportunities for community input on this.
  • A new approach would be to try to allocate the 16 days per year of community face-toface time to specific areas of agreed common interest (such as the approach taken to geographic names for ICANN 59) rather than trying to deal with multiple issues at once.
  • “Learning to say ‘No, not right now’ “ should not be in conflict with any ICANN values or processes.
  • SOs and ACs could look at ways of getting out of the cycle of responding to draft ICANN budgets and strategic plans and become more pro-actively involved in their formulation.
  • A cross-community session at ICANN 60 on lowering barriers to meaningful engagement in ICANN processes should be considered.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


GAC Communique Drafting Session (3) 18:30 - 20:00 UTC+02:00 Ballroom 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:

Thursday, 29 June 2017

ICANN59 Agenda Item 21 - NomCom Working Group 08:30 - 09:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objective:

Agenda:

  • Exchange of views about the possible appointment of a GAC non-voting member in the NomCom
  • Revison of legal background and previous experiences in fulfilling this role
  • AOB

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC Working Group to Examine GAC’s Participation in the NomCom reviewed the draft document “GAC Criteria for NomCom.” The working group will contribute with the revision of the text during the next months in order to present a new version during ICANN60.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 22 - Implementation of New Bylaws (Session II) 09:15 - 09:45 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Objective:

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

See Agenda Item 2.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 23 - Board-GAC Recommendations Implementation (BGRI) 09:45 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Manal Ismail, Egypt 

Markus Kummer, ICANN Board

Objective:

The Board-GAC Recommendations Implementation Working Group (BGRI-WG)(https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/board-gac-2011-2012-02-28-en) was created to implement GAC-related recommendations of the first ICANN Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT1), https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews/specific-reviews/atrt.
Its term was then extended to implement GAC-related recommendations of the second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2), https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews/specific-reviews/atrt.
Most recently, the BGRI-WG was re-convened with the mandate of looking into and reviewing “Effectiveness of GAC Advice”, where in some cases, it is difficult to determine whether (or not) ICANN Board has accepted GAC Advice, where there is clear evidence that advice has been accepted, to what degree it has been implemented, and whether or not the GAC feel the implementation adequately meets GAC’s original intent.
The session will finalize discussion on the current definition of what constitutes GAC Advice (https://gacweb.icann.org/x/nACAAg), the structure, elements and aspects of GAC advice, as well as institutionalizing a post communique Board-GAC exchange; and will discuss the way forward regarding logging and tracking GAC Advice to the Board in a satisfactory and complete manner.                                                   

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The BGRI-WG and the GAC met, adopted GAC-Board post-communiqué exchanges as a standard operating procedure, and agreed on a set of activities that the BGRI-WG should start working on next.

Action Items:

  1. The BGRI will continue its work inter-sessionally, and requests feedback from GAC members on issues raised in the session (BGRI, GAC Members).

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 24 - Meeting with Brand Registry Group 10:30 - 11:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Martin Sutton, BRG Chair

Objective:

The GAC will get a briefing on experiences regarding the New gTLD program and its outcomes from the Brand Registry Group, an association of operators of Brand gTLDs.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC met with the Brand Registry Group (BRG) and were briefed on the role of the BRG; dotBrand cases and trends; and relevant policy issues in the Subsequent Procedures PDP.

Action Items:

none

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 25 - GAC Operating Principles 11:00 - 12:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective:

The GAC will review minor amendments of its Operating Principles for adoption and pursue its ongoing work with a more extensive review of these Principles.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

  1. Options for a holistic review of the Operating Principles to be identified for GAC consideration (GAC Leadership group).

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 26 - KSK Rollover 12:00 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

David Conrad, ICANN CTO

Objective:

The GAC will receive a briefing from the ICANN CTO regarding aspects to consider in connection to the KSK Rollover, the changing of cryptographic keys that protect the Domain Name System (DNS), foreseen for later in 2017.   
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ksk-rollover

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC was briefed by David Conrad, ICANN Chief Technology Officer, on the Root Zone DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) Key Signing Key (KSK) Rollover. Recent correspondence to government regulators from the ICANN CEO on this issue was noted.

 

Action Items:

none.

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 27 - New GAC Website 13:30 - 14:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objective:

ICANN support staff and the website team will update the GAC on the work accomplished and prepare the GAC for the v1 launch to occur post ICANN 59.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC was briefed by ICANN technical staff on the transition to the new GAC website including access procedures. GAC was invited to provide feedback on the beta website.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials:


ICANN59 - Agenda Item 28 - Independent Secretariat 14:00 - 14:30 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Tom Dale, ACIG Secretariat

Objective:

The GAC will be discussing the financing, prioritization of tasks and contractual provisions for the Independent Secretariat, ACIG.             

 

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

The GAC noted that work was underway to renew the existing contract with ACIG to provide an independent secretariat service to the GAC. Further pledges were sought and encouraged as a matter of urgency. In addition, the GAC would work on mid-term solutions with a view to finding sustainable funding arrangements.

Switzerland noted that it was now possible to pay to the funding association in accordance with units of 1,000 Euro; urged members who have expressed interest to arrange payment or contact the association (via the Swiss GAC representative) with any queries; and provided the following summary of the funding situation as 28 June 2017:

[TBC]

Action Items:

  1. GAC members to again review the requests from the Chair for possible contributions to enable continuation of the independent secretariat. (GAC Chair + Switzerland).

Brief & Presentation Materials:


29.Planning for ICANN 60 Abu Dhabi and GAC Timeline 14:30 - 15:00 UTC+02:00 Ball Room 1

Leads:

GAC Chair, Thomas Schneider

Objective:

The GAC will be preparing for the ICANN 60 meeting in Abu Dhabi, with timeline for inter-sessional activities.

Expected Outcome:

Session Minutes:

Minutes forthcoming.

Action Items:

Brief & Presentation Materials: