Welcome to the new GAC website! Effective 5 September 2017, new content will be published to this site. If you have difficulty finding information, please email: gac-staff@icann.org. The former GAC site remains available during this transition.

Meetings & Records

GAC meetings are usually conducted in conjunction with an ICANN meeting. They may also be conducted inter-sessionally. GAC meetings are usually open. This part of the website provides both GAC Members and others members of the community with access to past, present and future GAC meeting material including agendas, transcripts, location details, recordings and minutes. For GAC Members there is also access to preparatory material ahead of forthcoming meetings such as the draft agenda, briefings and presentations, remote participation details and travel assistance.


Agenda

Abu Dhabi, UAE 28 October 2017 - 03 November 2017

Introduction

This page has been created in order to give you a scrolling review of GAC sessions for the ICANN60 Meeting.

Any additional information regarding the ICANN60 GAC schedule preparation, please see: https://gac.icann.org/activity/icann60-gac-schedule-preparation.

The session briefings are available on the GAC wiki site via a zip file link, please see: https://gacweb.icann.org/x/moPFAg

Saturday, 28 October 2017

08:30 - 13:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - GAC Underserved Regions Capacity Building Workshop for Middle East GAC Members and Newcomers

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Pua Hunter, GAC USR WG Chair
ICANN's Government Engagement Team

Objectives

Agenda

Time Session Moderator(s)
08:30-09:00

Welcome and introductions

ICANN's Senior Advisor to the President of ICANN for Government Engagement 

ICANN President and CEO

GAC Chair

United Arab Emirates representative

Pua Hunter (GAC USRWG chair and
ICANN GE)

Objectives of the meeting Pua Hunter and Alice Munyua
09:00-09:30 Introduction to ICANN and its role and work in the region (GSE) Baher Esmat (ICANN GSE)
09:30-10:30

Role of ICANN in the global Internet Governance Ecosystem

Panel and plenary discussion (William Drake/Wolfgang Kleinwaechter/Chengetai Masongo/Khaled Koubaa)
Alice Munyua and Baher Esmat
10:30-10:45 Coffee/Tea break
10:45-12:45

Update on ICANN Constituencies and cross-community work at ICANN60

(GAC topic leads/liaisons/GE/GSE/MSSI)
Baher Esmat and Alice Munyua
12:45-13:00 Closing remarks GAC Chair and/or Vice-chair and ICANN board

Expected Outcomes

Documents used for the Workshop session, please see https://icann60abudhabi2017.sched.com/event/CbHu.

08:30 - 13:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - GAC USR Capacity Building Workshop

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Pua Hunter, Cook Islands

14:00 - 14:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 2 - 2-Character Country/Territory Codes at Second Level

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will discuss the two-character second level domains (SLDs) matter, since their last face to face meeting.

14:30 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 3 - Country and Territory Names as SLDs

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will discuss the matter of Country and Territory Names as SDLs.

15:15 - 16:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 4 - GAC Independent Secretariat

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Jorge Cancio, Switzerland
Tom Dale, ACIG Secretariat

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing its independent secretariat contract situation.

16:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 5a - GAC's Participation in the Empowered Community

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Ghislain de Salins, GAC Vice-Chair, France

Objectives

The GAC will discuss its role in the Empowered Community.

17:00 - 17:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 5b - GAC's Participation in the Empowered Community

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Ghislain de Salins, France

Objectives

The GAC will continue its discussion about its role in the Empowered Community

17:45 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda 6 - GAC's Participation in PDP's and CCWG

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing its participation in Policy Development Processes and Cross-Community Working Groups in ICANN.

Sunday, 29 October 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 7 - Human Rights and International Law Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Working Group Co-Chairs:
Jorge Cancio, Switzerland
Mark Carvell, UK
Milagros Castañon, Peru

Objectives

Agenda:

  1. Consider the progress of the HR sub-group (report from Niels ten Oever);
  2. ICANN Organization activities directed to implementing the HR Core Value (speaker, Theresa Swinehart).
  3. Discuss the GAC providing potential advice to the Board on its use of Ruggie Principles as a tool.
  4. Consider the situation on the GAC as regards implementation of the core value - a first discussion

09:30 - 10:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 8 - Geographic Names Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objectives

Draft agenda for the meeting:
Role of the WG - GAC alternatives for participation in the Work Track 5
  • Which could be the role of the WG in this new stage?
  • Could we review main issues of the WT 5 process and highlight some issues which are important for the GAC?
  • Could we Help co-chair or GAC members participating in analyzing the information during PDP process?
  • Other ideas?

A summary of main issues and comments expressed during the two open
sessions about Geographic Names in new gTLDs are being shared with the WG members.

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 9 - Meeting with the GNSO Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs (CBAs and Applicant Support Discussion)

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Jeff Neuman and Avri Doria, GNSO New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs

Objectives

The GAC will be meeting with the GNSO Subsequent Procedures PDP Members and co-chairs to discuss Community-Based Applications.

11:00 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 10 - Community-Based Applications and Applicant Support Discussions

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Mark Carvell, United Kingdom

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing CBAs and Applicant Support following the meeting with the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Co-Chairs

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 11 - ICANN Jurisdiction

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Benedicto Fonseca Filho, Brazil

Objectives

The GAC will be preparing for its Cross-Community session on Jurisdiction scheduled on Thursday 2 November.

13:30 - 14:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 12 - Meeting with Amazon.com

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Scott Hayden, Amazon.com

Objectives

The GAC will receive a presentation from the Amazon Company, followed by questions and answers.

14:00 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 13 - Amazon IRP Discussion 1

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will have an internal discussion following its meeting with the Amazon Company.

15:15 - 16:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 14 - Meeting with the GNSO

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
James Bladel, GNSO Council Chair

Objectives

Agenda for meeting:

  1. Welcome
  2. Developments regarding Red Cross/Red Crescent and IGOs
  3. Update on current PDPs and on GAC engagement in these
  4. Implementation of GAC-GNSO CG recommendations – remaining issues?
  5. Lowering Barriers to Participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community)
  6. GNSO/GAC Liaison
  7. AOB

17:00 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 13 - Amazon IRP Discussion 2

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will continue its discussion following its first session on the Amazon IRP.

Monday, 30 October 2017

08:30 - 09:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 15 - ICANN MSSI Team Reviews

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
ICANN MSSI Review Team

Objectives

ICANN MSSI Review Team will update the GAC about the current and future work on the organizational and specific reviews: https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews

10:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Community Input and Feedback on Progress and Approach for Concluding the Work of CCWG-Accountability-WS2

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 16 - Meeting with NCUC

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Farzaneh Badii, NCUC Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  1. Introduction to the NCUC and its work
  2. Geographic Names
  3. 2-Character domain names at the Second Level that correspond with Country Codes
  4. Jurisdiction at ICANN
  5. Lowering Barriers to Participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community)

12:30 - 13:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 17 - BGRI Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Manal Ismail, Egypt 

Markus Kummer, ICANN Board

Objectives

The Board-GAC Recommendations Implementation Working Group (BGRI-WG)[icann.org] was created to implement GAC-related recommendations of the first ICANN Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT1)[icann.org].  Its term was then extended to implement GAC-related recommendations of the second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)[icann.org]. 

Most recently, the BGRI-WG was re-convened with the mandate of looking into and reviewing “Effectiveness of GAC Advice”, where in some cases, it is difficult to determine whether (or not) ICANN Board has accepted GAC Advice, where there is clear evidence that advice has been accepted, to what degree it has been implemented, and whether or not the GAC feels the implementation adequately meets GAC’s original intent. 

The session will adopt the reviewed description of what constitutes GAC Advice:

  • GAC Advice is advice on the activities of ICANN as they relate to concerns of governments, particularly matters where there may be an interaction between ICANN’s policies and various laws and international agreements or where they may affect public policy issues.
  • GAC Advice is embodied in a written communication where the specific advice is clearly marked as such, has a clearly stated proposal for action(s) by the Board, and explains the underlying rationale for its Advice.
  • GAC Advice is provided in accordance with the GAC Operating Principles[gacweb.icann.org], and is duly considered, accepted, or rejected by the Board in accordance with Section 12.2 (a)(x-xi) of the ICANN Bylaws.  

as well as agree on the following set of activities related to having a single, transparent, easy to access, and easy to manage portal for logging, tracking, and retrieving GAC Advice to the Board.

 

 

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Review of All RPMs PDP WG

Tuesday, 31 October 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 18 - Public Safety Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, PSWG Co-Chair

09:30 - 09:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 19 - GAC Chair Election Results

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will welcome its in-coming new Chair who will be assuming the role currently held by Thomas Schneider.

09:45 - 10:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 20 - ICANN / GAC Operational Processes

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Robert Hoggarth, VP, Policy Development and GAC Relations

Objectives

The GAC will be following up on the discussions held a previous ICANN Meetings such as ICANN's document handling and work prioritization.

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 21 - IGOs / Red Cross Protections

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will discuss the situation of IGOs and Red Cross Protections.

11:00 - 11:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 22 - Whois / RDS and GDPR

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

11:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 23 - Preparation for Meeting with ICANN Board

Room: Hall 3

13:30 - 14:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 25 - Meeting with ccNSO

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Katrina Sataki, ccNSO Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  1. ISO 3166 three-letter codes as TLDs
  2. next steps: policy development on country & territory names, geo names as TLDs
  3. PDP retirement update
  4. ccNSO meeting strategy review
  5. Lowering barriers to participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community)

14:15 - 15:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 26 - Meeting with the ALAC

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Alan Greenberg, ALAC Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  1. New gTLD Subsequent Procedures
    1. Country and Territory Names
    2. Community-Based Applications 
  2. Lowering Barriers to Participation (by improving ICANN's information flow to the community) and plans for joint GAC-ALAC demarche 
  3. GDPR
  4. Cooperation in Capacity Building in Underserved Regions
  5. AOB

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 27 - Meeting with ICANN Board

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Steve Crocker, ICANN Board

Objectives

Agenda for the meeting:

  1. GAC Responses to Questions From the Board
    1. Current GAC Topic Priorities;
      1. Further action on the dot Amazon issue following the final declaration of the IRP;
      2. Access to curative rights protection mechanisms by IGOs/INGOs;
      3. Policies for geographic names at the top level;
      4. Engagement with relevant PDPs and CCWGs; and
      5. Procedures for GAC participation in the Empowered Community.
    2. GDPR and WHOIS Views -- Range of views from GAC members on this matter. 
  1. Issues GAC wishes to put to the Board
  1. Dot Amazon -- What are the next steps from the ICANN side with regard to the IRP final declaration on the dot Amazon application? 
  2. IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms -- Can the Board inform the GAC on what measures it considers appropriate and necessary to avoid an apparent conflict between GAC advice and the likely recommendations of the PDP? 
  3. WHOIS policy -- How and on the basis of which interpretation does ICANN intend to enforce WHOIS policy come May 2018? 
  4. 2-character country/territory codes at the second level -- What are the next steps with regard to the actions noted by the ICANN CEO at the Board-GAC call of 14 August 2017 (in response to the Johannesburg Communique)? 
  5. Lowering Barriers to Participation -- GAC plans to continue to raise the matter of reducing barriers to participation in ICANN activities with other SOs/ACs. Can the Board indicate whether it supports further work in this area and, if so, how the Board and ICANN Org might support such work? 
  6. Timing and Process for Release of Further new gTLDs -- In responding to the GAC Hyderabad Communique, the Board stated that it accepted the GAC’s advice and will continue to monitor the work of the community regarding reviews of the current round of the New gTLD Program and the policy development work for subsequent rounds of the New gTLD Program. Can the Board provide an update on this monitoring?

17:00 - 17:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 28 - Rights Protection Mechanisms

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Mark Carvell, United Kindgom
Brian Beckham, WIPO

Objectives

Agenda:

  1. Factual summary of RPMs-- Brian Winterfeldt (10-15 mins)
  2. Presentation on INTA RPM survey -- John McElwaine (or possibly Lori by phone) (10 mins)
  3. Status report of RPMsPDP WG -- Susan Payne (10-15 mins)
  4. Identifying specific public policy issues on which GACreps in coordination with national intellectual property policy leads and/or agencies would potentially advise ICANN -- Mark Carvell, Brian Beckham

17:45 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 29 - GAC Operating Principles

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Robert Hoggarth, ICANN GAC Support 

Wednesday, 01 November 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 30 - NomCom Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objectives

Draft agenda for the meeting:

  • Revision of the draft document "GAC Criteria to submit to NOMCOM"

08:30 - 00:00 UTC | ICANN60 - New gTLD Subsequent Procedure PDP WG Meeting - WT5 Discussion

09:30 - 10:15 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 31 - Underserved Regions Working Group Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Pua Hunter, Cook Islands

Shelley-Ann Clarke Hinds, Trinidad and Tobago

Objectives

Draft agenda for the meeting:

  • Discuss the evaluation framework for GAC endorsement
  • Discuss the FAQ for GAC endorsement
  • Capacity development workshop updates and timeline for future sessions – APRICOT in Nepal, Pakistan
  • Discuss the workplan and call for active engagement of the working group members
  • Public Comment on recommendations for diversity
  • ICANN Community Travel Support Guidelines (for noting) 

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 32 - DNS Abuse Mitigation

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

GAC PSWG Co-Chair, Cathrin Bauer-Bulst

11:00 - 11:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 33 - GAC Website

Room: Hall 3

Leads

Fabien Betremieux, ICANN Support staff

11:30 - 12:00 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 34 - Preparation for HLGM ICANN63

Room: Hall 3

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 35 - Preparation for ICANN61

Room: Hall 3

12:30 - 13:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Commonwealth Meeting

Room: Hall 3

Objectives

Draft Agenda

  1. Introductions
  2. Welcome remarks
    • Nigel Hickson, VP, IGO Engagement, ICANN (TBC)
  3. Lowering Barriers to ICANN Participation
    • Mark Carvell, GAC Vice Chair and UK GAC Representative.
  4. Introduction to Internet and Jurisdiction
    • Bertrand De La Chapelle and Paul Fehlinger, Internet & Jurisdiction.
  5. Commonwealth updates (Chair
    • CTO’s work on Cyberspace
    • IGF 2017
    • CHOGM 2018
  6. AOB

 

15:15 - 16:45 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 36b - ICANN60 Communique Drafting

Room: Hall 3

17:00 - 18:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 36c - ICANN60 Communique Drafting

Room: Hall 3

Thursday, 02 November 2017

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+04:00 | ICANN60 - Agenda Item 37 - Whois/RDS and GDPR

Room: Hall 3