Welcome to the new GAC website! Effective 5 September 2017, new content will be published to this site. If you have difficulty finding information, please email: gac-staff@icann.org. The former GAC site remains available during this transition.

Meetings & Records

GAC meetings are usually conducted in conjunction with an ICANN meeting. They may also be conducted inter-sessionally. GAC meetings are usually open. This part of the website provides both GAC Members and others members of the community with access to past, present and future GAC meeting material including agendas, transcripts, location details, recordings and minutes. For GAC Members there is also access to preparatory material ahead of forthcoming meetings such as the draft agenda, briefings and presentations, remote participation details and travel assistance.


Agenda

Johannesburg, South Africa 26 June 2017 - 29 June 2017

Monday, 26 June 2017

09:00 - 09:45 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 1a - Opening Plenary

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Tom Dale, ACIG GAC Secretariat

Objectives

The GAC will be welcoming new GAC Members, go over the GAC schedule for the week of the ICANN59 Meeting and open for
nominations to the upcoming GAC Leadership elections.

09:45 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 1b - Election Tool Presentation to GAC

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

10:30 - 11:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 2 - Implementation of New Bylaws (Session I)

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing the role of the GAC in the Empowered Community

11:30 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 3 - 2-Character Country Codes as Second Level Domains

Room: Ball Room 1

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing the status and the next steps for exchanges with ICANN Org regarding the topic of
2-Character Codes as Second Level Domains

13:30 - 14:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 4 - Public Safety Working Group (PSWG) Update to GAC Plenary

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, PSWG Co-Chair

Objectives

The GAC Public Safety Working Group will provide an update on Abuse Mitigation discussions with ICANN, including answers provided
to the follow-up scorecard to Annex 1 of the Hyderabad Communiqué, as well as the outcome of the Dialogue with the ICANN CEO
that was proposed by the ICANN Board in response the Copenhagen Communiqué.                                                             

 

14:00 - 14:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 5 - CCT Review Update

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will discuss the CCT Review Report based on a briefing by the Chair of the Review Team.

14:30 - 15:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 6 - IGO/Red Cross Protections Update

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Bruce Tonkin, ICANN Board

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing the developments and status of the facilitated dialogue regarding protections of IGOs acronyms and Red Cross-Red Crescent national names since ICANN58.

Tuesday, 27 June 2017

09:00 - 09:45 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 7 - Underserved Regions Working Group

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Alice Munyua, AUC. 

Pua Hunter, Cook Islands

Objectives

The GAC Underserved Region Working Group will discuss the work progress
made since ICANN 58.

Agenda:

  • Capacity Development Workshops updates and timeline for future sessions

* 23 – 24 June 2017: Pre ICANN 59 Capacity Development Workshop (agenda: https://gacweb.icann.org/x/w4FhAg)

  • Review of the FAQ document on delegation and redelegation of ccTLDs
  • Update on the CCT Review, New gTLD Subsequent Procedures,
    CCWG Acct WS2 Diversity Sub-Group
  • Call for volunteers in Cross-Community Working Groups, GNSO PDPs,
    and Underserved Regions Working Group’s work 

Expected Outcomes

Recordings and Transcripts of the session can be found here: https://schedule.icann.org/event/B49D/gac-underserved-regions-working-group-session 

10:30 - 11:15 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 9 - Meeting with ALAC

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Alan Greenberg, ALAC Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  • Ways to make GAC/ALAC cooperation more concrete
    (eg., small groups following up the discussion at joint meetings)
  • New approaches to the subsequent new gTLD procedures
    (incl. CBA's, possible for profit/not for profit categories, geo names, etc)
  • Possible cooperation in underserved regions
  • AOB                                                                                                            

11:15 - 12:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 10 - Human Rights and International Law Working Group

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Jorge Cancio, Switzerland;

Mark Carvell, UK;

Milagros Castañon, Peru

Objectives

The GAC HRIL WG will be meeting to follow up on its work since ICANN 58.

Agenda:

  • CCWG HR sub-group consultation on FoI: outcome and next steps.
    Speaker: Niels ten Oever  (10 + 15 mins Q&A) - Co-Chair lead: Jorge Cancio
  • Report on teleconference with UN WG on Guiding Principles (10 mins)
    Co-Chair lead: Mark Carvell
  • Next phase of HRIL WG work (5 mins) Co-Chair lead: Milagros Castańon
  • AOB (5mins)                                                                                            

13:30 - 14:15 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 12 - Meeting with ccNSO

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Katrina Sataki, ccNSO Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  • Revision of different perspectives presented during the Webinar
    organized by the GNSO
  • Preparation for the cross-community webinar and a cross-community
    dialogue session during ICANN 59
  • AOB            

14:15 - 15:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 13 - Protection of Geo Names Working Group

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  • Revision of different perspectives presented during the Webinar
    organized by the GNSO
  • Preparation for the cross-community webinar and a cross-community
    dialogue session during ICANN 59
  • AOB                

17:00 - 18:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 14 - Public Safety Working Group

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Alice Munyua, AUC  

Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, European Commission

Objectives

This work session of the PSWG will review progress on ongoing work topics
including the Security Framework for Registries to Respond to Security Threats,
Privacy Proxy Implementation and Registration Directory Services related initiatives
(Next Generation RDS PDP WG, RDS Review Team, GDPR Impact Assessment).
The work session will also focus on internal matters such as defining the PSWG’s
strategy and working methods.

17:00 - 18:30 UTC | ICANN59 Cross-Community Discussion on Geographic Names at the Top-Level - Session 1

Room: Bill Gallagher

Leads

Avri Doria, New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Co-Chair

Jeff Neuman, New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Co-Chair

Objectives

The Cross Community Discussion – Geographic Names at the Top-Level sessions will be a chance for the community to discuss and consider the topic of geographic names at the top-level of the DNS, an area where there are divergent views amongst the community organizations, and even amongst those within their respective organizations. During the 2012 round of the New gTLD Program, country or territory names as defined in the Applicant Guidebook, were not permitted. Certain other Geographic names, as defined in the Applicant Guidebook, were permitted when accompanied with supporting documentation. There are currently several efforts underway that are separately looking at how geographic names should be handled in the future, with some focusing on different aspects of the topic. The New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG is seeking to facilitate a community-wide dialogue that allows for the community to collaborate, understand the various needs, and to consider and debate proposals to address geographic names at the top-level in future new gTLD procedures; The goal of the session is to work collaboratively with the community to develop a consensus-driven compromise solution.
Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/xAffAw.

The CC Discussion on Geographic Names Session II information can be found here (Thursday 29 June): 
https://schedule.icann.org/event/B3pD/cross-community-discussion-geographic-names-at-the-top-level-session-ii

Wednesday, 28 June 2017

08:30 - 09:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 16 - New gTLD Policies

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will discuss issues related to the GNSO PDP on Subsequent Procedures and participation in the related Working Group.

09:30 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 Agenda Item 17 - Meeting with ICANN Board

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

ICANN Board 

Objectives

The GAC will be meeting with the ICANN Board to discuss  a range of issues.

11:30 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 Agenda Item 19 - Meeting with GNSO

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

James Bladel, GNSO Council Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  • Developments regarding Red Cross/Red Crescent and IGOs
  • Update on current PDPs and on GAC engagement in these
  • Implementation of GAC-GNSO CG recommendations
  • GNSO Review of GAC Copenhagen Communiqué
  • AOB                             

Thursday, 29 June 2017

08:30 - 09:15 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 Agenda Item 21 - NomCom Working Group

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Olga Cavalli, Argentina, WG Chair

Objectives

Agenda:

  • Exchange of views about the possible appointment of a GAC non-voting member in the NomCom
  • Revison of legal background and previous experiences in fulfilling this role
  • AOB

09:15 - 09:45 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 22 - Implementation of New Bylaws (Session II)

Room: Ball Room 1

09:45 - 10:15 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 23 - Board-GAC Recommendations Implementation (BGRI)

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Manal Ismail, Egypt 

Markus Kummer, ICANN Board

Objectives

The Board-GAC Recommendations Implementation Working Group (BGRI-WG)(https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/board-gac-2011-2012-02-28-en) was created to implement GAC-related recommendations of the first ICANN Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT1), https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews/specific-reviews/atrt.
Its term was then extended to implement GAC-related recommendations of the second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2), https://www.icann.org/resources/reviews/specific-reviews/atrt.
Most recently, the BGRI-WG was re-convened with the mandate of looking into and reviewing “Effectiveness of GAC Advice”, where in some cases, it is difficult to determine whether (or not) ICANN Board has accepted GAC Advice, where there is clear evidence that advice has been accepted, to what degree it has been implemented, and whether or not the GAC feel the implementation adequately meets GAC’s original intent.
The session will finalize discussion on the current definition of what constitutes GAC Advice (https://gacweb.icann.org/x/nACAAg), the structure, elements and aspects of GAC advice, as well as institutionalizing a post communique Board-GAC exchange; and will discuss the way forward regarding logging and tracking GAC Advice to the Board in a satisfactory and complete manner.                                                   

10:30 - 11:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 24 - Meeting with Brand Registry Group

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair
Martin Sutton, BRG Chair

Objectives

The GAC will get a briefing on experiences regarding the New gTLD program and its outcomes from the Brand Registry Group, an association of operators of Brand gTLDs.

11:00 - 12:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 25 - GAC Operating Principles

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

The GAC will review minor amendments of its Operating Principles for adoption and pursue its ongoing work with a more extensive review of these Principles.

12:00 - 12:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 26 - KSK Rollover

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

David Conrad, ICANN CTO

Objectives

The GAC will receive a briefing from the ICANN CTO regarding aspects to consider in connection to the KSK Rollover, the changing of cryptographic keys that protect the Domain Name System (DNS), foreseen for later in 2017.   
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ksk-rollover

13:30 - 14:00 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 27 - New GAC Website

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Objectives

ICANN support staff and the website team will update the GAC on the work accomplished and prepare the GAC for the v1 launch to occur post ICANN 59.

14:00 - 14:30 UTC+02:00 | ICANN59 - Agenda Item 28 - Independent Secretariat

Room: Ball Room 1

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Tom Dale, ACIG Secretariat

Objectives

The GAC will be discussing the financing, prioritization of tasks and contractual provisions for the Independent Secretariat, ACIG.             

 

Monday, 14 August 2017

13:00 - 14:00 UTC | GAC and ICANN Board Conference Call Regarding ICANN59 Communique

Leads

Thomas Schneider, GAC Chair

Markus Kummer, ICANN Board

Objectives

The GAC and the ICANN Board will discuss the GAC Advice from the ICANN59 Communique

Friday, 22 September 2017

13:30 - 14:30 UTC | ICANN Board Montevideo Workshop - Discussion of GAC Advice in ICANN59 Communiqué

Leads

ICANN Board

Objectives

The ICANN Board will be holding one public session and a Board Meeting during its upcoming workshop in Montevideo, Uruguay, which will be taking place from 20-23 September, 2017.

The agenda of the sessions is provided below.

Date Time (UTC) Session
22 September 13:30 – 14:30 Discussion on how Board responds to the GAC Advice in its ICANN59 Johannesburg Communiqué
23 September 12:00 – 13:00 Public Board Meeting
The sessions will be in English only. The format for each will be a listen-only session via Adobe Connect.

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2017-09-13-en